Hair loss happens for many different reasons as we discussed in the previous article, Reasons for Hair Loss in Men and Women , and all of them are not related to aging. There are various natural ways to prevent excessive hair loss without depending on expensive products and methods. Now we will focus on the natural ways which can help us fight and prevent hair loss.
Foods to Reduce Hair Fall
Diets enriched in Proteins, Zinc, Calcium, Vitamin B12, Iron, Omega 6 fatty acids, leafy greens, nuts, beans, fishes, milk, yogurt, cheese and egg whites promote the hair growth. Indian Gooseberry (Amla) is a rich source of Vitamin C and helps in strengthening of hair follicles and stimulates hair growth. Dairy products are great source of biotin that is effective in preventing hair loss.
Blood Test and Hair Fall Diagnostics
Go for a regular blood examination to test your Ferritin level ( iron stored in blood ) and diagnosis of Vitamin D deficiency. If you are deficient then add Iron and Vitamin supplements to your diet ( consult a doctor for prescription ).
Scalp Massages to Reduce Hair Loss
Gently massaging the scalp with oils can stimulate the hair follicles by promoting the blood circulation thus leading to reduced hair fall. Oils that can be used for massaging your scalp
- Coconut oil
- Castor oil
- Almond oil
- Olive oil
- Amla oil etc
Massage your hair gently with oil of your choice for 10-15 minutes. Keep it overnight for best results and wash your hair in the morning with a mild protein rich shampoo. Repeat this procedure once or twice a week. Also while shampooing hair, when you are halfway, massage the scalp gently with your finger tips to promote blood flow to scalp ( 2-3 minutes ).
Apply Hair Masks to Reduce Hair Fall
Hair masks help to polish the hair and scalp by repairing the damaged roots and ends of your hair, also increases the collagen and keratin production.
Banana and Honey Hair mask
Bananas are rich in Potassium, anti-oxidants, natural oils and vitamins, which make them an ideal treatment for hair loss. Take one ripe banana mash it properly in a clean bowl and then add 1-2 teaspoon of honey into it. Apply this mask gently on your hair with help of a brush or clean hands. Keep it for 25-30 minutes and then wash your hair with a protein based shampoo.
Egg(whites only) and olive oil Hair mask
Eggs are power packed with nutrients and proteins that are good for maintaining the health of your hair. Sulphur in eggs boost hair growth and reduces hair fall. Take 2 egg whites and add a spoon full of olive oil in to it. Mix it well and apply the hair mask for minimum of 30 minutes and then wash your hair.
Aloe vera gel and castor oil Hair mask
Aloe vera removes the dead cells that clog the roots of hair and castor oil help in stimulated blood circulation. Take aloe vera gel (if possible then take fresh aloe leaves n extract the gel out of them), blend the gel with a teaspoon of castor oil in a blender for half a minute and then apply this hair mask and keep it for at least 30-40 minutes and then wash your hair.
Curd Hair mask
Curd is full of nutrients and anti-oxidants and increases the production of keratin and collagen and helps in reducing hair fall, apply curd on your hair to give them a natural shine and strength. Apply curd according to the length of your hair. Keep it for an hour and then wash your hair.
Please note, for washing your hair only protein based herbal or organic mild shampoos should be preferred.
Important Tips to Control Hair Fall
- Keep yourself hydrated.
- Reduce the consumption of alcoholic beverages.
- Avoid smoking.
- Stay physically active for healthy body and maintaining hormonal balance.
- Avoid stress ( as much as possible).
- Avoid constant heating and drying your hair with a blower.
- Keep the head sweat free to avoid clogged roots.
- Change your hair style (if you have any bald patches).
- Keep away from chemicals ( coloring and highlighting the hair again and again).
- Also use chemical free shampoos, soaps, lotions and gels for your hair.
- Regular hair cuts can help you get rid of split ends and keep lower dead locks away.
- Avoid tight hairstyles or buns.
- Avoid wet hair brushing.
- Avoid too much brushing, use a fine quality hair brush or use your fingers to undo tangles.
- Stay away from direct exposure of too much sunlight and industrial fumes etc.
- Always wash your hair with mild herbal or organic shampoos and condition them with mild conditioners.
- Infrequent hair washing can also clog the roots of your hair so keep your hair clean and eat healthy protein rich diet for healthier hair.