Turmeric (Haldi/ Haridra) is known as the golden spice of India and it is gaining popularity worldwide. Though this is a traditional Ayurvedic (organic and herbal) recipe that has been savored for centuries, it supports, heals and helps in optimal functioning of mind and body in number of ways. Golden Milk helps in increasing the vitality of the body and boosts the immunity, cleanses blood and beautifies the complexion.
Turmeric is a natural Antibiotic, Anti-inflammatory and Antiseptic, helps in detoxification of liver and promotes healthy immune response to allergens, helps in digestion and helps in detoxification of lungs. Contains a flavonoid called “CURCUMIN” which boosts the immune system of the body naturally.
Utensils required to prepare Golden Milk
- A small Saucepan
- A spoon to stir
- A glass/ mug/ cup to pour the drink
- A hand blender (optional)
Ingredients required to prepare Golden Milk
- Half a teaspoon of organic turmeric powder for a full glass of milk (350-500 ml)
Note – You can take 1/4th of turmeric powder in a teaspoon if preparing for a cup of 250-300ml
- Half to full cup of Organic whole milk (almond milk/ hemp milk can be used as well).
- If you are calorie conscious or following a particular diet, then take skimmed milk (fat free).
- Half spoon of organic ghee (clarified butter), Coconut oil can be used instead of Ghee.
- A large pinch of Cinnamon powder.
- A pinch of Cardamom powder.
- A dash of black pepper (you can avoid it if you are allergic to it or don’t like its taste).
- A small pinch or a strand of saffron (optional).
Procedure to prepare Golden Milk
- Take a clean saucepan
- Add one cup (or required amount of milk)
- Warm the milk on medium flame for 3-4 minutes
- Stir occasionally
- Once the milk is warm add Ghee (clarified butter) and spices (turmeric, cinnamon, cardamom, black pepper)
- Stir gently with the spoon till there are no chunks of mixture left. Mix it well.
- Warm the milk for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add sugar according to your taste or any sweetener of your choice (but use less amount).
Point to be noted
If you want to add Honey as a sweetener than let the milk cool down first at the room temperature because adding honey to the hot milk will act as a poison. So let it first cool down properly and then add honey. For other sweeteners you can add them in warm milk itself.
The following steps are completely optional
- If you want your milk to be little frothy then blend it with the help of hand blender, the texture of milk will be creamy and frothy.
- After removing the milk from stove and let it cool to drinkable temperature, pour the milk in a nice cup or glass.
- Add a strand of Saffron to it and garnish with a pinch of cinnamon powder.
Your Golden Milk / Turmeric Latte is Ready, Enjoy the drink
Benefits of the spices used in preparing Golden Milk
Its aromatic flavor combats nausea, acidity, bloating of stomach, loss of appetite, gas and constipation, relieves form heart burn too.
High source of Antioxidants, beneficial in fighting diabetes.
Good for bones because a good source of calcium, and prevents osteoporosis (softening of bones).
Ghee( clarified butter)
Rich in fat soluble vitamins A, D, E, suitable for individuals with casein and lactose sensitivity. Cow’s milk and Ghee is advised, because it is naturally fortified with Vitamin D.
Aids in digestion by boosting the metabolism.
Enhances complexion by clearing skin.
Benefits of drinking Golden Milk or Turmeric Latte
- Helps in cough, cold, joint aches
- Blood purification
- Menstrual cramps
- Skin disorders like rashes, eczema, acne prone skin
- Anti inflammatory
- Helps in digestion
There are endless benefits of drinking Golden Milk infused with spices, The best time to drink the Golden milk is during evening. Stay Healthy Always.